Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Persistent Prayer

And He said to them, “Which of you shall have a friend, and go to him at midnight and say to him, ‘Friend, lend me three loaves; for a friend of mine has come to me on his journey, and I have nothing to set before him’; and he will answer from within and say, ‘Do not trouble me; the door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot rise and give to you’?  I say to you, though he will not rise and give to him because he is his friend, yet because of his persistence he will rise and give him as many as he needs. Luke 11:5-8

This passage has become very special to me since I've started to seriously intercede for others. When we intercede for others, the Holy Spirit fills us with God's love for those we pray for. We care so intensely and we realize, like in the parable, that we have nothing to set before our friends. We are powerless and in poverty ourselves, so we go to God and ask Him to provide for them. Our love for them drives us to continue to pray and ask and not give up until our prayers are answered.

We may wonder why doesn't God just do those things anyway? Why do we need to ask? It certainly isn't because God doesn't care...it's because we need to care. We need His love and we need to love others.

Over the last several months the Lord has shown me over and over again that He cares about what matters to us. When He gives us His love for people we can't help but pray.We don't give up because we feel such a side-by-side love for them. We are compelled to keep asking because we see their need so greatly and we see no other option.

These little ones are worth loving with Christ's passionate love. They are worth persistent prayer. 


 









   






My eight year old daughter, Hannah prays for Delia every day. She said that Delia means so much to her that she will not give up until she gets a family. She says that the other children who get families give her hope.



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this verse, Sabrina.
    Well said!
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete